Kelso Washington History
When the European settlers arrived in 1855, the area that became Kelso, where the Cowlitz and Coweeman flows into the Columbia River at the western foot of a hill, was inhabited by the people of the Cowlitz tribe, and members of that tribe still live there today. The scenic Burnt Bridge Creek Trail winds its way along the creek and the present-day town of West Kel, so that it is located where a fundraising land claim by Seth Catlin and his wife stood in the 1860s.
In the late 1880s, Washington Territory became the 42nd state to apply to join the Union, and voters moved Cowlitz County's seat from Kalama, where it had been located since 1872, to Kelso. In 1884 Crawford divided his claim into 500 lots, which he sold to establish the town of Kel sof, which was incorporated in 1890 and moved to Vancouver Washington. In 1949, he founded the Cowlitzer County Historical Museum, which documents the history of early life in Southwest Washington, and a museum and museum in West Kel. The inhabitants of Kelso began to prepare for incorporation at the beginning of the 20th century with the help of the local historian William J. H. Crawford.
The Kelso Depot is a museum of Cowlitz County, Washington, and its history as a city. For more information about the history of the museum and other historical sites, visit the Historical Museum Kel sof in West Kel.
Located in the city of Kelso, Cowlitz County, Washington, this site is home to the Kelso Depot, the only museum of its kind in Washington. The site has a total area of about 1,000 square meters and is visited by an average of about 500 people annually. In 1954, a state engineer built a bridge over the River Cowan in Kelso and named it Peter Crawford Cowlitz Way Bridge. Rainier was connected to Longview by the Lewis and Clark Bridge, named after Lewis & Clark, which passed the area on November 6, 1805 on their first expedition to the Pacific. After the connection bridge over the Cowlitzer River was built, Kel Sof was incorporated into the non-incorporated town of Catlin in 1953.
Catlin set his claim on the land that would later become West Kelso, originally called Catlin. The city cladded the site, which is so named after Scotland's home in Kel, and the airport is also known as "Molt Taylor Field," named after the founder of the flying car company Molt and Taylor Aircraft, who grew up and lived in Longview.
President Jimmy Carter (* 1924) arrives at Kelso Airport in Portland on July 4, 1976, accompanied by several members of Congress.
Catlin died on July 25, 1865, at the age of 73, and is buried in the Catlin Cemetery in Kelso. Had he lived, he would have spent his days building the Cowlitz County Courthouse on land that the city of Kel had given to the county in the early 20th century. Earl W. Lohrey, 84, was born William Lottie Petrie LOHrey and grew up in Lorane, Oregon, where he attended elementary school. He retired from his job as an engineer for the US Postal Service in Portland and moved to Kel Soo in 1993, where he worked part-time for Cook Logging.
The Cowlitz River winds through Longview and Kelso and joins Columbia River Mile RM 67. A neighbor of the city of Kel Soo, it is located on the west side of the river, south of Interstate 5, and has its own airport, Southwest Washington Regional Airport. The airport was renamed Southwest Washington Regional Airport in 2009 and has since been rebranded as Kelso International Airport.
Kelso is part of the Longview metropolitan area and home to the University of Washington, Washington State University and the U.S. Naval Academy. It was perfect for Kelso, a small town of just over 1,000 people and covering an area of about 1.5 square miles.
Kelso is part of the Longview metropolitan area and home to the University of Washington, Washington State University and the U.S. Naval Academy. Kelso is located in the Columbia River Valley, north of Seattle and west of Tacoma, on the west side of Interstate 5, about 30 miles south of downtown Seattle. It is a small town of just over 1,000 people and covers an area of about 1.5 square miles, located about 20 miles north - east of Everett and about 10 miles east - west of Spokane.
Kelso was ranked by the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau as the poorest city in Washington with a poverty rate of 3.5 percent.
The pay trends are based on salaries published anonymously by staff at Kelso City Council in WA. Based on salary data from the city's Office of Human Resources Management (OPM) and salary developments for city employees in the city.